Putting savoring into practice
In Positive Psychology For Overcoming Depression, Miriam Akhtar shares the basics for how you approach savoring a moment:
- Slow down and stretch out the experience
- Engage your full attention
- Use all of your senses
- Reflect on the source of the enjoyment.
There are endless opportunities to implement savoring on vacation. Here are a few suggestions:
Savoring after the vacation
- Share photos on social media and reminisce
- Tell stories about your adventures with those interested
- Prepare a meal from where you traveled
- Read back over your travel journal
Sometimes we fill our vacations with long itineraries and forget to "be" in the moment. We forget to slow down and soak in special experiences. Take time to enjoy your vacation and remember that, according to Bryant, savoring “... is like swishing the experience around … in your mind." Put savoring on your itinerary.
Bryant, Fred Boyd, and Joseph Veroff. Savoring: A New Model of Positive Experience. Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, 2007. Print.
Lyubomirsky, Sonja. The How of Happiness. NY:Penguin Press, 2008. Print.
Photos are mine.